Note that the Udemy courses go on frequently sale for between $10 and $15. Wait for the sale. The author of the course will also often have discount codes to get the course cheaply. Suggest you pay only $10 to $20 per course.
The curriculum for all of the courses on this list are largely the same. You can go through any of the courses and get the same benefits. The choice of which one to go through is based on:
- teaching style
- your prior experience
- where your knowledge gaps are
You can identify what course to get by looking at the syllabus and comparing the material to your own background.
I have purchased and at least partially gone through every course on this list. If you want free material, there are many free courses on YouTube. The Flutter documentation is excellent. You can go through the Flutter site and learn Flutter at no cost.
Please see this discussion on Reddit about the outdated material.
This post on Reddit (link above) summarizes the issues.
Note that the instructor is a medical doctor and not a PhD in computer science. This is amazing. She’s the best instructor for young, female students. Both my son and daughter like her the best. If you are new to programming, this is it!
Estimations include completing every exercise.
- beginner: 4 months at 5 days per week for 30 minutes a day
- you can already program another language, but do not know state management for reactive programming: 2 weeks to 2 months (assuming you skip around)
- you already know reactive state management, responsive layout, basic declarative programming: you might want to start with a more difficult book. You may be able to get through this course pretty quickly.
She had a free 10 class that is no longer available. The paid 28 hour class (which I think I bought for $12) is excellent. It looks like you can get the course for $10 from a link to one of her videos on YouTube.
- 216 videos
- 28 hours of video
- 98 hours for completion (videos plus completing exercises)
- Real world completion: March 1, 2020 to June 22, 2020
- 5 days a week
- Best at explaining concepts
- Best design (look of projects. Colors, fonts, icons)
- Very clear speaking. Great, native English voice.
- Best if student is female as the instructor can be looked up to as a role model
- Does not go as deep into topics such as different state management
This seems to be the most popular course and may be the course for you if you like to program. The instructor builds larger projects that cover more details than Angela Yu’s courses. However, unless you have experience with the concepts, the information may not stick in your head. I paid around $13 for the class. There are discount codes directly on his site to buy the course for $39, but you can likely get it cheaper if you wait for a Udemy sale.
The Angela Yu course has more information on design. This course has more information on state management, which you will absolutely need. The main downside is that this course can be overwhelming as there is one big concept after another strung together into a single large project. I needed to rewatch the same video multiple times.
- 369 videos
- Real world completion completion: June 26, 2020 to January 10, 2021 (5 days a week)
Free - Flutter Crash Course for Beginners 2021 - Build a Flutter App with Google’s Flutter and Dart by Academind
This is my favorite course. However, it does not cover Flutter. The author has another course that does cover flutter. Covers null safety and other Dart concepts such as named constructors that might be slightly different from other languages. You should go through this course or something similar if you are new to asynchronous programming and streams. You will likely need streams for state management at some point.
- 184 lectures
- Real World Completion: January 11, 2021 to March 19, 2021 (5 days a week)
This course comes with a free book on Dart which is excellent.
I have not completed this course. The instructor is great. The concepts look good. By the time I bought this course, I had already completed the Dart course by Andrea and completed the courses by Angela Yu and Maximillan Schwarzmuller.
I have not completed this class. However, I have completed the Android class by the same instructor and his teaching style is good.
I did not complete this course. The teaching style is good. There is more information on state management, which you will need.
- Flutter YouTube Channel
- Flutter Tutorial for Beginners by The Net Ninja (YouTube)
- Flutter Crash Course by Traversy Media (YouTube)
- Unusual approach to teach children programming by building mobile games with Flutter and Flame - my personal hobby video series
Recommended by community
Flutter for Designers $19/month
- recommended by Javy Sanchez ref
Marcus Ng Launch Club - $19/month
- recommended by Javy Sanchez. ref
If you like learning and writing about cool technology, consider working at Oppkey.
We have a number of jobs at different levels of commitment, including project, part-time and full-time. You’ll get to interview interesting people who are leaders in technology. Receive $100 to $300 per article as you help your fellow developers get great information.